Taiga.io is a project management platform that I have been itching to try out for quite some time. I have had experience using Redmine in the past for a previous job, and while I am comfortable in it I have a taste to try something new.
I had a brief foray into the solution from Atlassian (Jira) – which I found full featured but much too weighty for my small consultancy business. As well as introducing many features I didn’t need, it strained my small Linux server I spun up to test with.
I was then drawn back into trying Taiga after learning that it had been written in Python, my language of choice. I already had my Debian box (running Stretch) running, so I jumped on and decided to give it a go.
pypirc – Fix Breaks Login
(When an upstream bugfix breaks my login)
Getting started on the Python Package Index
Back when I was finally willing to release python code to the wild I did some reading on the web of the simplest methods of getting a project uploaded to PyPI. I found several resources, but one that I clipped and still occasionally refer to was a simple article by Peter Downs on making a project pip installable that is hosted on Github.
This was very simple to follow, so I registered with PyPI (and TestPyPI) using a password generator and created my
.pypirc file. After fleshing out my project and adding the necessary components to the
setup.py file I excitedly tried to register and upload my first project.
Shenanigans in a self-managed server running WordPress.
Good advice gone bad
As part of my refresh of my blogging website, I was reading some advice about working with WordPress. One of the main pieces of advice I discovered in multiple places (like this article and this one) was about permalink format.
I read them fairly thoroughly, thought through the issues and decided. I have just rebooted my website. I like the look of the post-name permalink structure for improving the ease of sharing and discovery. I don’t have any current posts that I care about redirecting to.
So I went ahead and made the change, as well as updating my theme to something less standard. Some last minute viewing of my changes then involved a click or two on some of my internal links like Read more.. and Next/Previous, only to get a 404 response.